.

.

Sunday, September 6, 2015

It Started Out With A Feeling...

I had had the desire to serve a mission way before the mission age was changed. When I was about 14 or 15 I watched an LDS movie about a sister missionary called "The Errand of Angels"
As I watched this movie I had this sudden wanting to go out and experience a mission, but at that time the mission age for sister missionaries was 21 and like all other girls then, I decided that if I wasn't married by the time I was 21, I would go on a mission. But our Heavenly Father had something in store that would change everything.
At the October 2012 LDS General Conference Pres. Thomas S. Monson said the words that changed the course of my life:
"Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21."

(watch/read the announcement here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/welcome-to-conference?lang=eng)

Unfortunately I had currently been in the shower when this announcement was given (way to go Dee). When I had gotten out of the shower my mom called me into the TV room and re-winded Pres. Monson's announcement to the beginning. The moment he said the young women were now able to serve at the age 19, I felt a feeling that is completely indescribably, but it told me that I was to serve a mission; that serving a mission had always been what I was suppose to do and that this age change was for me. Because of this I could now go on a mission right after I graduated from high school. 
It became more clear that I was always meant to serve a mission throughout the years leading up to my 19th birthday. My mom would tell me many times of how when I was younger, she was trying to decided on if she should put me in preschool once to make me younger in my class or twice, to make me older since my birthday was right when school started. She prayed and prayed on what to do and she got the answer to make me the oldest in my class. She didn't understand why she was suppose to, but when the age change announcement was given, she knew that it was so that I could leave on a mission right after I graduated. 
Isn't it amazing how Heavenly Father prepares us and sets us on the path we're suppose to be on way before we even know it? I mean, I was 3 or 4 years old  and a mission was something I didn't even know about! I was thinking about watching The Little Mermaid and playing with my cousins, but Heavenly Father was thinking of setting me on the path to serve a mission. This event alone makes bares witness to me of how mindful Heavenly Father is of me and my life, as He is with everyone's lives. He truly is a loving God and I am so thankful that He needs me to serve Him out on a mission.

The journey continues soon!
Love, Dee Marie 

No comments:

Post a Comment